With the NHL trade deadline nearly upon us here are the latest rumors and notes from the Penguins .
One of the most fundamental maxims regarding to trades before the trade deadline: No matter what a General Manager is publicly saying, NEVER rule out anything until the trade deadline is officially over!
That’s GM Jim Rutherford’s message of this statement:
After #JagrWatch unfortunately ended on Thursday … Let’s again bring up #StaalWatch!
Two possible reasons for this statement by GM Jim Rutherford:
1) Rutherford wants to motivate Brandon Sutter. That would mean, the Penguins are paying a center $3,3 Million who constantly gets outplayed and needs to be motivated before every playoffs
As this “motivation” already didn’t really work out the last time with the “Kesler rumors” …
2) Rutherford must have any kind of plan. Otherwise it would be just publicly bashing your own center man. We’ll see …
Penguins are intensively scouting the Columbus Blue Jackets:
Whom of the Blue Jackets might Associate General Manager Jason Botterill & Director of Professional Scouting Derek Clancey have scouted?
– James Wisniewski (D): The Penguins would have to move out a lot of salary (Martin/Ehrhoff) before they could afford Wisniewski’s $5.5 Mio Cap Hit. Although James Wisniewski would have a contract until 2016/17, I doubt they would trade Paul Martin or Christian Ehrhoff (not to mention both players have a Limited No-Trade Clause). As long as the Penguins wouldn’t be able to trade for James Wisniewski in exchange for Rob Scuderi (also has a LNTC) in any kind of “package trade”, I don’t see Rutherford acquiring Wisniewski.
– Mark Letestu (C): Are the Penguins interested in reacquiring former Pittsburgh Penguin Mark Letestu? His $1.25 Mio Cap Hit would even allow the Penguins to add him without moving out salary via trade/waivers (Beau Bennett would probably get sent down to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins) Or would the Penguins even consider a bigger trade or another trade in which they would trade away Brandon Sutter and replace him with Letestu/Spaling?
– Cameron Atkinson (RW): The 25-year-old Cameron Atkinson has lately drawn a lot of interest by teams like the Chicago Blackhawks and the Boston Bruins and I personally would wish the Penguins would try to acquire him as well. Atkinson actually is a really good, young player who already has some NHL experience. A young, highly motivated player with some experience is what the Penguins are still lacking in my opinion. The Penguins would be able to afford Cameron Atkinson’s $1.15 Mio Cap Hit, but the questions are: Are the Columbus Blue Jackets willing to trade him? And if they would be, what would be the price in order to acquire him?
Stay tuned for more rumors!
– Benedikt Bäumler